NOW

TONIGHT! The Sputnik Years at Amherst Town Library

When a Russian rocket lofted Sputnik 1 into orbit October 4, 1957, worldwide reaction was a mix of awe and apprehension. July 17, 7:00PM.

Classical Concert Summer Series at the NPL July 3-31

Enjoy luncheon concerts at the Nashua Public Library or listen to wonderful Music Under the Stars outside. Both Free! Discover more A&E.

Amherst Lions Club Celebrates "Bridge of Flowers"

AMHERST – Amherst Lions Club officially launched the “Bridge of Flowers” today with a ribbon cutting at the 119-year-old closed bridge on the corner of Boston Post Road and Route 122.

“Our intent was to make use of a neglected landmark and turn it into something that better reflects the welcoming character of Amherst residents,” said Ken Jones, project lead.

The result is a welcome sign with pots and planters of blooming annuals attached to shelves supported by uniquely-designed galvanized steel brackets. “We worked on a design that is sturdy and long-lasting as well as sought advice for the Amherst Garden Club’s master gardeners on layout and plant selection,” he explained, adding that the Lions contributed more than 300 hours toward the initial set-up and have rotating duties to weed and tend to the flowers during the growing season.

Other Lion-inspired design elements include a solar powered irrigation system and an in-ground perennial garden.

Because the club’s funds go principally toward charity efforts, they recruited several organizations and businesses to assist, including Novia who constructed the brackets; SpeedPro Solutions for the sign design and construction; the Bertha Rogers Trust that helped with funds for the start-up costs; and Lowe’s, The Home Depot and Trombly Gardens who contributed materials and plants. Both the Amherst Garden Club and several town residents donated perennials.

Future plans, according to the Lions, include expanding the in-ground flower beds and decorating the bridge for the holidays.

The closed municipal bridge was originally built in 1900 using some of the 42-inch thick granite blocks from a local jail house that was torn down in 1893. Renovations were made on the bridge until it was closed when an adjacent bridge opened in 1983. According to the NH Department of Transportation, the corner is one of the busiest in Amherst with more than 4,800 vehicles traveling by the intersection each day.

To learn more about the club, contact us at amherstlionsclub@gmail.com.

Next Edition Released Week of August 21st

Signup today and subscribe to

The Amherst Citizen's "e-newsletter"

VISIT OUR WEBSITE SPONSORS

ARCHIVES

THE AMHERST CITIZEN

M   E   D   I   A        G   R   O   U   P

PRINT | WEB | SOCIAL | SHOPPING